PSZ Clay Center is a new facility for ceramic artists in residence. Created in the former Pioneer School in Zanesville, PSZ Clay Center began with the residencies of Doug Jeck and Christine Golden.
Golden first came to Zanesville in 2014 when she was awarded the first Zanesville Prize.
Doug Jeck was a juror for the 2015 Zanesville Prize. He was invited to return as a resident artist in Pioneer School in the Fall of 2016. He came back.
Having been impressed by Golden’s prize winning work, Jeck contacted her and found that she would be in Zanesville a few days during his residency as the judge of the All Ohio Contemporary Ceramics Competition and Show. He asked her to stay on after the show and collaborate with him on the co-creation of eleven busts. She agreed.
In less than a week, they formed the eleven busts. During their work together, documentary film- maker Doug Swift filmed “Duet”, a rare look that captures two outstanding artists working side by side, co-creating each other’s works.
The busts display their different ways and complementary ways of working clay. The discussions and decisions that molded the works are unexpected and exciting.
Both Golden and Jeck had long known of the Zanesville area’s rich history of art pottery and vast resources of clay. They became part of the rebirth of the region.
They want to share Pioneer School with other artists whom they believed would be inspired here. Kelsey Duncan was so inspired.
Duncan returned to Zanesville from Athens a month after he was awarded the first place in the first All Ohio Contemporary Ceramics Competition. He participated in Doug Jeck’s community project (a nativity scene in clay) and became interested in working with Jeck and Golden in creating PSZ Clay Center.
PSZ will open with Duncan in residence in May soon after the arrival of the new- front loading kiln. Doug Jeck and Christine Golden are planning to return before the 2017 Zanesville Prize award ceremony on October 7, 2017. They will work intensively with a group of experienced artists.
Pioneer School overlooks downtown Zanesville from Pioneer Hill. Its opening was in 1915, two years after the City was ravaged by the 1913 Flood. It served as a public school until it closed in 2005. In 2006, it was purchased by its current owners David and Katherine Mitzel who recreated 8,000 square of its 30,000 square feet as their home. Now the building is repurposed as the headquarters of Appalachian Hills of Ohio Territory (AHOOT) and PSZ Clay Center.